Today I cooked an easy but nutritious side dish for lunch. Tofu is not a traditional ingredients used in Italian cuisine and people consider it as bland. With the exception of vegetarians, people don’t usually cook it. Even if I am not a vegetarian, I started appreciate the nutrition qualities of tofu ( dubu – 두부 in Korean) and cooked today with the addition of the spicy sauce that gives a delicious flavor to the dish.
For the recipe we will use firm tofu that can be easily found in supermarket or Asian grocery stores in your town.
Ingredients (for 2 people)
- 400 gr (15 oz) of firm tofu
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- spring onion
- chili powder
- mint leaves
- roasted sesame seed
- Rinse the tofu and dried it well with kitchen paper
- Slice the tofu in rectangular shape 1 cm (o.5 inch) thick as shown in the picture below
- Add 1 spoon on vegetable oil on a heated pan
- Cook the tofu pieces on a low heat until both sides of the pieces become golden brownWhile the tofu is cooking we will prepare the spicy sauce, mixing all ingredients in a small bowl
- 1 chopped clove of garlic
- 1 chopped spring onion
- 1 ts chili powder (gochugaru – 고춧가루)
- 1/2 ts miele (honey, sugar equivalent)
- 1.5 tbs soy sauce
- 2 chopped mint leaves
- 2 ts sesame oil
- When the tofu is golden brown on both sides, place the slices on a plate
- Dress the tofu with the sauce and sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds
This is dish is very easy and fast to prepare and is a perfect side dish for steamed rice. Our lunch today included also a spinach side dish and cabbage kimchi.
Try to cook it yourself and let me know how it goes! You can also find me on my blog Kimchi&Basil where I write about Korean food culture from a point of view of an Italian and share my recipes.